In probably the most shocking display of chutzpah in recent times, Germany is seeking compensation from Poland.
Specifically, there are calls “for an admission of the wrongs done to Germans at the end of the war and for some form of material compensation.”
- Some 12 million Germans were kicked out of central Europe, many of them killed, at the war’s end, when Europe’s borders were redrawn by the allies. Poland, in particular, was literally lifted from east to west and transplanted on to territory that for centuries had been peopled by Germans.
So let’s recap here:
- Germany invades Poland, starting WWII.
- The Nazi regime murders hundreds of thousands of Polish citizens, spreading death and destruction across the country.
- Germany loses the war it started.
- Germany then complains about the treatment it gets after the war by the country it decimated, and seeks restitution.
And this is ignoring the millions of lives lost worldwide because of Germany’s actions.
I’m still appalled at the absurdity of this and that people are able to suggest this with a straight face.
As amazing as it is, the Germans are only following a tried and tested example.
-Arab armies invaded Israel in 1948
-Arab residents of the former Palestine mandate murder dozens of Jews in outright massacres throughout the country (such as Kfar Darom and Kfar Etzion)
-The Arabs lose the war they started
-The Arabs receive OVERWHELMING UN support to have Arab refugees, who fled or were forced to flee battlegrounds they ignited, compensated heavily by Israel and “Donor Nations”.
As usual, the Germans used a formula that works.
My personal favorite: the Egyptians who demand Jewish restitution for the booty we swiped in yetzias Mitzrayim.
The crux of their argument is that Jews acknowledge, in Sefer Shemos, that they raped and pillaged the land.